Wednesday 21 August 2013

Love Is A Thief by Claire Garber: A Review

Love Is A Thief by Claire Garber


When Was It Released?: 5th July 2013
Where Did I Get It From?: Netgalley. Thank you!
Who Published It?: Mira
Number Of Pages?: 416 Pages
Buy?:Paperback or Kindle

Have you ever wondered how different life would have been if you hadn't met your current or ex-boyfriend and fallen in love? I sure have and I know that it can be a dangerous question to start thinking about considering there is not much that can be done to change the past. Love Is A Thief is a story that focuses on just that question and shows the story of how it is never too late to give up on what you want from life.

What did you miss out on because you fell in love?
I might just be ‘that’ girl. You know the one. The girl who, for no particular reason, doesn’t get the guy, doesn’t have children, doesn’t get the romantic happy ever after. So I needed to come up with a plan.
What did I like doing? What didn’t I get to do because I fell in love? What would I be happy spending the rest of my life doing if love never showed up again?
Kate Winters is going on a journey to do all the things that love has snatched from her and her friends, to reclaim her dreams and theirs in the hope of finding her future. But there’s a chance that new dreams are better than the old.


I really like the concept of Love Is A Thief, as it looked at love from a completely different perspective. I am sure many of you have given up something for love whether it is willingly or without really realising it and it is interesting to think about and see what Kate and the other characters would have done differently if they hadn't met their partners. In some senses it is almost like a self help book as well as a work of fiction, as it really made me question my own life and what I may not have done because I fell in love and how things may have been different. There is a lot of humour in this book, which keeps it light hearted, and had me laughing on more than one occasion.

The characters were a mixed bag, I really liked Kate as she grows so much throughout the book on her journey finding out what other people have missed out on which in turn makes her question her own life. I enjoyed seeing women become empowered by trying things they always wanted to alongside their relationships and realising they don't have to entirely give up on their dreams. The only problem I had with Love Is A Thief is that, as it is quite a large book, at times it did drag a little and the pace slowed down so I was left wondering when it would become interesting again. These times however, were few and far between.

Overall I really enjoyed Love Is A Thief would recommend it to anyone who loves their chick lit with a twist, especially if you like a book that leaves you thinking about your own life. Love Is A Thief is a story of love, self realisation and humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment