Sunday 25 August 2013

Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger: A Review

Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger


When Was It Released?: 4th June 2013
Where Did I Get It From?: From the publisher. Thank you!
Who Published It?: Harper Collins
Number Of Pages?: 432 Pages
Buy?:Paperback or Kindle

I was an enormous fan of The Devil Wears Prada, both the book and the movie versions, if you haven't read or watched this yet then you really need to. As soon as I heard that there would be a sequel, Revenge Wears Prada, I could not wait to get my hands on a copy. I just had to see what had happened to Andy, Emily and Miranda since the days of working at Runway.

Everything's in place for the season's hottest launch: Tall latte (with two raw sugars)? Check. Gucci trench (draped over desk)? Check. Outrageous, unreasonable demands? Check. Andy has just turned thirty and is an incredibly successful magazine editor, working closely with her best friend Emily, another Runway survivor. She's about to get married - life's on track and she's been careful to stay clear of Miranda Priestly, her dreadful first boss. But Andy's luck is running out. Miranda Priestly isn't the kind of woman who hides in the background. She's back...and more devilish than ever.

I love Lauren Weisberger's writing style; it just flows so easily and naturally while still managing to be engaging. I found myself wanting to keep reading on and on as Lauren Weisberger managed to make me want to know exactly what was going to happen next by leaving little cliff hangers at the end of chapters, making it very difficult to put the book down. I did enjoy reading about the old characters, especially Miranda Priestly who returns in full force in this sequel. She was her usual self and defiantly a character that I love to hate. I could not get enough of her in the book. I also loved how Andy and Emily now run a wedding magazine, The Plunge, as I have a fascination for wedding so I enjoyed getting a glimpse into that world.

My main issue with Revenge Wears Prada was with the character of Andy. I loved Andy in The Devil Wears Prada, but there were very few flashes of that old Andy with Revenge Wears Prada. Most of the time I felt like I was reading about an entirely different character, someone new and definitely not Andy. Even though I know that the book is set ten years later and so of course Andy's character has grown and changed I just felt that she had changed beyond recognition at time. Even Emily did not seem to be the same girl she was in the previous book.

The Revenge Wears Prada may not have lived up to the expectations I had for a sequel to The Devil Wears Prada but overall it was still a good book. I loved returning to the characters that I have missed and reconnecting with them all over again. Revenge Wears Prada is filled with the luxury and glamour of living in Manhattan and left me wishing that I could live in that world.


No comments:

Post a Comment