Friday 23 August 2013

Swimming Pool Summer by Rebecca Farnworth: A Review

Swimming Pool Summer by Rebecca Farnworth


When Was It Released?: 18th July 2013
Where Did I Get It From?: Netgalley. Thank you!
Who Published It?: Arrow
Number Of Pages?: 448 Pages
Buy?:Paperback or Kindle

I love reading a good summer read while it is hot outside and I can relax in the sunshine imagining that I am on some exotic island far away. A large part of reading for me is about escapism so devouring Swimming Pool Summer over the summer months was just perfect for me. Although I am sure that if you pick up this read during the winter it will be able to transport you away from those cold winter nights.

Frankie hasn't had a proper relationship for years. But though she tells everyone this is how she wants it, secretly she's in love with her best friend Patrick.
Tor didn't think she could have a baby, but now she is pregnant by her younger lover. Could this mean the end of a romance that has started to mean more to her than she expected?
Leila seems to have it all - a happy marriage, a beautiful daughter and a successful career. But Leila is harbouring a secret that could destroy her marriage forever.
On an idyllic Greek island, the three women try to keep their secrets hidden. But emotions are running high, and when an unexpected guest arrives, events start to spin out of control.


The premise of the story is quite simple focusing on the three women and their separate as well as inter-joined lives while on holiday in Greece. Rebecca Farnworth manages to describe Greece in such detail that I find myself wanting to book a holiday there immediately. From the villa the women are staying in to the restaurants and the scenery, it was all brought to life and made me feel as though I could almost be there along with them. I love books that are set abroad as they manage to add another layer of escapism while reading and Swimming Pool Summer did this perfectly for me.

All three main characters were fantastic, each being so relatable with their problems and dilemmas. I really felt for each of them with what they are going through as thirty something year old women in todays society. I really enjoyed the way in which the novel switches between the viewpoints of the women each chapter meaning I got a real feel for each of the ladies in turn and kept the plot moving at a good pace. My favourite character was probably Tor as she has many insecurities that a lot of women can relate to yet really she is a beautiful woman.

Swimming Pool Summer is a fantastic book to devour over the summer or while on holiday with a cocktail in hand. A beautiful setting, real issues and likeable characters make for a great light hearted summer read. I am looking forward to reading more from Rebecca Farnworth.


No comments:

Post a Comment